top of page

Private Property ​Impounds


If your vehicle has been towed from private property, there are State statutes as well as local/county ordinances which control the towing and release of your vehicle.  In general, police agencies are not involved in this type of tow; however, towing companies are required to notify the law enforcement agency within the town/city/county from where the vehicle was towed.


What do I do when I realize my vehicle is no longer parked where I left it?


Do not assume your vehicle has been stolen as your vehicle may have been towed.  Check the location where the vehicle was parked to see if there are posted signs, which list information for a particular towing company.


Who has the ability to authorize the tow of my vehicle from private property?


Generally speaking, only the owner of the private property where you are parked or a property manager and/or their agent(s) can have your vehicle towed.  This includes a tenant, as an agent for the owner.  The towing company has no authorization to tow the vehicle without written permission (through an authorization or by contract) from one of these individuals.


How do I retrieve my vehicle after it has been towed from private property?


1.  Call Impact Tow inquire as to fees, location, hours and documentation requirements.

 Scheduled appointment is Required for auto release.​


2. If there is no signage at the location where the vehicle was towed, call the law enforcement agency from where the vehicle was towed.


3. Go to the Impact Tow storage location to make payment and/or payment arrangements and retrieve your vehicle.


What documentation will I be required to provide when I retrieve the vehicle from the storage location?


In general, you will need the following documentation:


Official government photo ID, Title, registration to prove ownership. 

If a person other than the registered owner is retrieving the vehicle, that person will need the following:


1. An official government photo ID and/or a valid driver’s license.


2. A signed and notarized statement from the registered owner granting permission for the named individual to retrieve the     vehicle.


3. A photo copy of the registered owner’s official government photo ID.


4. Payment by one of the excepted methods of payment. See Payment Options below.


 It is important that you bring all necessary equipment to haul your vehicle away if it’s not drivable. You will not be permitted to bring tools with you and work on the vehicle at the tow yard for liability reasons.


You will be asked to sign a receipt for the vehicle claimed.  The receipt may contain the following:


(1)     The name and address of the claimant/registered owner;


(2)     The name, address and letterhead of the private towing carrier;


(3)     The date and time at which the vehicle was claimed;


(4)     A description, including the license number, of the claimed vehicle; and


(5)     A statement of the unpaid balance, if any.


What are the maximum fees allowed for private property impounds? ​


Local ordinances and city codes control the maximum fees.  At this time, there are no State statutes which govern these fees.  Please reference the appropriate city code or local ordinance for a schedule of the maximum fees.


Payment Options


We ONLY accept cash.  Money orders, cash advance checks, 3rd party checks, etc…. are not acceptable forms of payment.  Release of the vehicle is predicated on payment/payment arrangements and providing the appropriate identification and proof of ownership.​​

bottom of page